Skip to main content

Meet Our Interns: Part 1


Chloe (Toad)

Where are you from/where do you call home?
I am from Lexington, Massachusetts which is a town about 20-30 minutes outside of Boston.

What did you study in college?
I majored in biology with a certificate in environmental studies.

What in your childhood pointed to this as your job?
When I was little my parents bought me a field guide and one of my favorite things to do was to go outside, look for critters, and try to identify them. On the playground,  I was always flipping rocks and rolling log rounds to look for bugs, and it was not unusual for me to walk into my house with a bucket containing some kind of small amphibian from our garden outside. I can only imagine how excited 6-year-old me would have been to know that I would one day be doing that for a living!

What is your favorite class to teach at Sierra Outdoor School?
I'm still learning some of the classes but my favorite that I teach right now is the silent mile. I think it is really powerful to give kids the chance to understand how they fit into this larger picture of nature and the ecology cycle. Along with that, the class also gives students the chance to connect with nature on an emotional level in a way they may not have done before. Because of this, I think the silent mile really has the power to make a difference in the students' lives.

Why are you excited to be here at SOS?
I feel so lucky to be able to live and work in such a beautiful place and to be outside every day doing what I love to do while surrounded by such a wonderful and like-minded staff. It is also so exciting to me to be working with students who may not have a lot of experience with the outdoors and to be with them when they are discovering nature for the first time.

If any liquid could come out of your fingertips, what would it be?
Chocolate milk. I think if I could have chocolate milk any time any day I would never be sad again for the rest of my life.

What is a place you have never been, but are excited to one day visit?
Definitely Hogwarts. I know it's 12 years too late but I'm figuring my letter just got lost in the mail. I'm sure it'll be here soon.


Hannah (Flicker)

Where are you from/where do you call home?
San Diego, CA

What did you study in college?
Biology and Music.

What in your childhood pointed to this as your job?
Every summer growing up I looked forward to spending a week at Girl Scout Camp in the mountains of Southern California, and camping and hiking with my family, so it makes sense that I know hike around in the woods with children as my job! I also loved making my own microscope slides, reading about nature, and watching TV shows on the Animal Planet and Discovery channels.

What is your favorite class to teach at Sierra Outdoor School?
Raptors & Conservation!

Why are you excited to be here at SOS?
I spent a lot of time in Northern California as a child during family trips, so I’m ecstatic to be close to so many special places. I also love discovering the intricacies and awe-inspiring aspects of nature with others, so spending lots of time outside with students and chaperones is my ideal job!

If any liquid could come out of your fingertips, what would it be?
Even though it’s kind of boring, I would choose water because then I would always have it at my fingertips (literally)! Growing up in Southern California during a drought has made me a pretty water-conscious person so it would be incredible to just shoot out H2O whenever I need it and not have to depend on the Earth’s fresh water supply. I also wouldn’t have to carry water or a purifier on hikes and backpacking trips when fresh water is hard to access. And, most importantly, I’d be pretty good at water fights with a special talent like that.

What is the coolest place you’ve ever been?
A wilderness area in the Cascade mountain range in Washington called The Enchantments! There are a ton of alpine lakes in this area with crystal clear water, craggy mountaintops, and gigantic white fluffy mountain goats.


Madi (Fox)

Where are you from/where do you call home?
Southeastern Pennsylvania- more specifically Chester Springs.

What did you study in college?
Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management with a focus in Environmental Interpretation.

What in your childhood pointed to this as your job?
When I was little my grandparents took me and my brother outside to play and explore a lot! I rediscovered my love of the outdoors in college through Penn State’s Outdoor School.

What is your favorite class to teach at Sierra Outdoor School?
Raptors & Conservation! I’ve been working closely with Birds of Prey for almost 3 years and I love sharing the message of their importance with our students!

Why are you excited to be here at SOS?
The staff at SOS are absolutely amazing! I love learning from everyone and they make work so much fun.

If you could break out into song right now, what would you sing?
I am currently performing a rendition of ‘The Greatest Showman’ while answering these questions.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
I would be able to take on different animals’ adaptations at will!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start a School Environmental Club in 8 Easy Steps!

Hello students! Have you recently come to Sierra Outdoor School and want to continue the fun? Did you write an earth pledge in our Raptors and Conservation class and want to follow your dreams of helping the planet? Are you coming to Sierra Outdoor School in the future and are wondering how you can prepare for an awesome experience? Then creating an environmental club at your school may be the perfect idea for you! Making a club at your school can sound like a lot of work, but with our easy 8 step guide you'll have it up and running in no time! Step 1) Gather your friends! Get a group of friends together and talk about your goals and dreams for an environmental club.  Are there things you learned about protecting the planet, saving the animals, and reducing your earth footprint at Sierra Outdoor School that you want to continue doing at school?  Did you get inspired by the story of Olivia's Birds ( http://www.oliviabouler.net/ ), who

Give Plants a Chance: Erosion and Giant Sequoias

          What is Erosion? Erosion is the gradual degradation (breaking down) of rock and other natural material, by wind, water, gravity, and even animals. Erosion happens all around us on hillsides, the edges of riverbeds, beaches, and cliff walls. It is an entirely natural and necessary process; erosion is responsible for the dispersion and recycling of rocks and minerals into sediment, which enriches soil and provides opportunities for new life to emerge!           However, human induced erosion is not natural, nor beneficial to our local environment. Scientists have estimated that global rates of erosion have increased 10-40 times its natural rate, due to human influence and activity. If you are looking for signs of human induced erosion, it is particularly obvious alongside walking trails in parks and forests.            Every year, our Sierra Outdoor School Naturalists take hundreds of of students on field trips to Calaveras Big Trees State Park, aptly named

Meet Our Interns: Part 3

Sarah Barker (Mariposa) Where are you from/where do you call home? I was born and raised in Fresno, CA ; fun fact, I attended Sierra Outdoor School as a sixth grader! What did you study in college? I completed my Liberal Studies Bachelor of Arts at California State University, Chico.  What in your childhood pointed to this as your job? I really enjoy teaching Wilderness Skills. It's an awesome opportunity for students to learn new skills, like using a compass and building a survival shelter. It's very different from the curriculum I've taught in the "traditional" classroom. What is your favorite class to teach at Sierra Outdoor School? Sierra Outdoor School is a wonderful place to be! The opportunity to live in a beautiful forest, impact students from all over California, and experience a different style of teaching was something I couldn't pass up. I look forward to taking everything I learn here and bringing t