Skip to main content

Meet Our Interns: Part 3




Sarah Barker (Mariposa)

Where are you from/where do you call home?

I was born and raised in Fresno, CA ; fun fact, I attended Sierra Outdoor School as a sixth grader!


What did you study in college?

I completed my Liberal Studies Bachelor of Arts at California State University, Chico. 


What in your childhood pointed to this as your job?

I really enjoy teaching Wilderness Skills. It's an awesome opportunity for students to learn new skills, like using a compass and building a survival shelter. It's very different from the curriculum I've taught in the "traditional" classroom.


What is your favorite class to teach at Sierra Outdoor School?

Sierra Outdoor School is a wonderful place to be! The opportunity to live in a beautiful forest, impact students from all over California, and experience a different style of teaching was something I couldn't pass up. I look forward to taking everything I learn here and bringing those skills into the classroom!


Why are you excited to be here at SOS?

Sierra Outdoor School is a wonderful place to be! The opportunity to live in a beautiful forest, impact students from all over California, and experience a different style of teaching was something I couldn't pass up. I look forward to taking everything I learn here and bringing those skills into the classroom!


What is the coolest place you’ve ever been?

The coolest place I have ever been is San Sebastian, Spain. San Sebastian has one of the best beaches in Europe, a wonderful blend of Basque and Spanish culture and traditions, as well as amazing food.


Favorite Smell?

A favorite smell is hard to choose, because I really love candles! A current favorite is spiced apple, it reminds me of fall. 





Diane (Firefly)

Where are you from/where do you call home?

Texas is my home, though I also feel at home hiking in the mountains.


What did you study in college?

Outdoor Leadership


What in your childhood pointed to this as your job?

I grew up catching snakes, toads, and bugs in my backyard. When I got older, I started hiking and spending more and more time in the great outdoors. Mountains and forests have been the setting for my most memorable adventures, and I knew I wanted to help others connect to nature and have their own adventures.


What is your favorite class to teach at Sierra Outdoor School?

So far my favorite class is Raptors and Conservation. I love taking students out to explore the forest and learn about how we are connected to the natural world. I also love seeing the students’ faces light up when they meet our raptors and learn about their adaptations.


Why are you excited to be here at SOS?

I love sharing the natural world with other people, and at SOS I get to do that every day! This is a beautiful place to explore nature. I love watching students discover things they’ve never seen and get excited about spending time in the forest.


If any liquid could come out of your fingertips, what would it be?

Paint, and every finger would have a different color.


What is the coolest place you’ve ever been?

The High Sierra is one of the coolest places I’ve ever been. It’s a completely different world up there from anything I’ve ever seen, and it is spectacularly beautiful. I love the alpine lakes and meadows.





Sarah Bloom (Scrub)


Where are you from/where do you call home?

I’m a California local! I hail from Berkeley in the East Bay, very close to San Francisco.


What did you study in college?

I majored in Environmental Studies and minored in Education.


What in your childhood pointed to this as your job?

I always loved looking at flowers and sitting outside. I also loved having a notebook so that I could take field notes, but I didn’t really know how to do it yet. Plants (but especially flowers) have always been my greatest love.


What is your favorite class to teach at Sierra Outdoor School?

I would have to say it’s a tie between Silent Mile and Raptors and Conservation. There is so much opportunity for exploration and going to new spots in those classes, and I love giving students the chance to use their senses to fully experience the environment around them.


Why are you excited to be here at SOS?

I love the amazing ecology here! There are some very beautiful species of pine trees, and the area changes so much through the seasons. The raptor program is also very unique, and I feel very fortunate that I get to work with some incredible birds!


Favorite smell?

I love the scent of pink tubed jasmine and wisteria! Both of them are native to China and have very delicate and floral scents. It’s my favorite part of spring.


Where is a place you have never been, but are excited to one day visit?

Vietnam! I really love Vietnamese food, and the country has an amazing variety of tropical forests, beaches, and deserts. The biodiversity is supposed to be incredible, and I hope to visit it in the next few years!



Comments

  1. I was here on September 4 2 weeks ago and it was lit where is mountain goat and sandstorm and marmin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. Chemistry Tuition Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. Math worksheets for kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Top Learning Platforms

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. big word club

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start a School Environmental Club in 8 Easy Steps!

Hello students! Have you recently come to Sierra Outdoor School and want to continue the fun? Did you write an earth pledge in our Raptors and Conservation class and want to follow your dreams of helping the planet? Are you coming to Sierra Outdoor School in the future and are wondering how you can prepare for an awesome experience? Then creating an environmental club at your school may be the perfect idea for you! Making a club at your school can sound like a lot of work, but with our easy 8 step guide you'll have it up and running in no time! Step 1) Gather your friends! Get a group of friends together and talk about your goals and dreams for an environmental club.  Are there things you learned about protecting the planet, saving the animals, and reducing your earth footprint at Sierra Outdoor School that you want to continue doing at school?  Did you get inspired by the story of Olivia's Birds ( http://www.oliviabouler.net/ ), who

Give Plants a Chance: Erosion and Giant Sequoias

          What is Erosion? Erosion is the gradual degradation (breaking down) of rock and other natural material, by wind, water, gravity, and even animals. Erosion happens all around us on hillsides, the edges of riverbeds, beaches, and cliff walls. It is an entirely natural and necessary process; erosion is responsible for the dispersion and recycling of rocks and minerals into sediment, which enriches soil and provides opportunities for new life to emerge!           However, human induced erosion is not natural, nor beneficial to our local environment. Scientists have estimated that global rates of erosion have increased 10-40 times its natural rate, due to human influence and activity. If you are looking for signs of human induced erosion, it is particularly obvious alongside walking trails in parks and forests.            Every year, our Sierra Outdoor School Naturalists take hundreds of of students on field trips to Calaveras Big Trees State Park, aptly named